Sunday, November 16, 2014

Little boy bedroom makeover!

Little buddy's room was seriously neglected.  Poor little guy needed a tiny man cave of his own, especially in a house overrun by girls.  So it was time to make it his own!  I said to myself, striped wall?  How hard can it be?  UGH, hard is the correct answer!  However, I would have done it again in a heartbeat, I LOVE how it turned out.  So here you go... the DIY to a striped accent wall!

I started by painting the wall a light gray color I picked from Home Depot called Silver Mist.
Tape off the corners and roll it on.  I did a paint and primer and painted 2 coats.  Love it!
Next pick a width for your stripes.  I chose 8 inches.  Mark the wall and tape with every measurement.  WARNING:  you think the tape will just go on straight but I learned quickly that that's not the case.  Run your 8 inch measurement down the wall as you tape so you stay even.  Unless you like Dr. Seuss stripes, then just don't worry about it and go crazy.  I chose straight ;)
Don't mind tiny toes here, she was my little helper...

Now that you have everything taped and ready to go, paint within your stripes whichever color you choose.  I chose Ralph Lauren metallic silver.  Love this because the light shimmers off of it and looks like a glossy shade of gray that I painted on the walls.  In love!
Now time to take something I wanted (the walls) and add a little boy flair that my little guy would love.  I went to Ikea and picked out frames of different sizes.  Now after you've spent all this effort and time on your awesome stripes, you aren't about to make any unnecessary holes SO... Trace your frames on paper and tape them up with painters tape.  Move them around until you love where they are and then hang the frames in their places!  
Next I filled the frames with things that he loves, plus a little reminder for me to "let them be little."  I think all parents need this reminder :)  DONE!  He has a place he loves and I love walking by and seeing a little hard work DIY pay off big time.  Do you have a room that needs stripes?  I bet you do!




No comments:

Post a Comment